- Is he a sepoy or leader of the front?
- All depends on March 10 resultsDr.
KCR seems to be “a man in a hurry“and has quickly made plans for the Delhi journey. These days all travelers travel light, but KCR is travelling extreme-light, as he seems to be in a big hurry. KCR has suddenly shown his ambitions and has a “Planless Plan” for national politics. 2200 years ago, Roman writer Terrance coined the proverb “Fortune favors the brave.“ KCR might be brave and hopes this proverb favors him .
Nizams of Hyderabad were a successful dynasty in India, having ruled Hyderabad for 224 years from 1724- 1948. The main strategy of the Nizams were to avoid war and be cunningly friendly with all. Nizams avoided war with British and were also friendly with enemies of the British. The only war that Nizam lost was when he fought India in 1948.
KCR has great experience in politics. Right now, KCR is playing to two audiences. In Telangana, KCR says he is going to break the ‘ Delhi Fort ‘ , meaning he wants to be prime minister. In Telengana, KCR is ferocious and aggressive with words. Outside ,Telangana, KCR is very nice, sober and humble ,saying he wants only to fight the BJP. If you look at the photos of KCR, when he meets Opposition chief Ministers, it is one of humility, innocence and softness. Two audiences –two faces.
Advantages for KCR :
- KCR is the Chief Minister of Telengana. That gives him great power, prestige , resources and authority. If he is not Chief Minister, no one will take him seriously.
- KCR has not said that he wants to be prime minister. He only said that he wants to remove Narendra Modi as prime Minister. So, other opposition leaders are alright with that and feel he can be used.
- There is a vacuum in national opposition coordination. Possibly, KCR might fill up that vacuum of coordination, like Chandrababu Naidu did. None of the other Chief Ministers wants to do such work and they are stingy. KCR definitely can fill up that role and convey the impression in Telengana, that ‘he is spinning the Chakram.“ A big meeting of opposition Chief Ministers will be held at Hyderabad soon.
- KCR is also befriending his old enemies like the Gandhis, which is good politics. The Gandhis are looking for friends and they will welcome KCR. Gandhis made up with Sharad Pawar, who called them foreigners. Wait for the meeting between KCR and Gandhis.
- KCR has a positive image among farmers across India for the Rythu Bandhu scheme, which was the first such scheme in India.
- There is a perception that KCR has lost ground in Telengana and BJP is rising. This is known nationally. KCR’s weakness in Telangana makes him look weak. Other regional leaders have national ambitions after winning domestic elections like Mamata Banerjee. But KCR is going national when he looks weak. A fatigue has set in about KCR. His main battle will be how to appear as a fresh face before Telangana, where he has been contesting elections since 2004
- KCR has also to mend fences with Andhra people. The opposition would not like an associate who is viewed hostility in Andhra.
- As long as KCR does not show Prime ministerial ambitions, Sharad Pawar, Mamata , Kejriwal and even Rahul Gandhi will be ok. The minute they think he has motives, he will be stopped.
- KCR does not have a second rung leadership ready to manage Telangana. Therefore, it is difficult to manage national ambitions when you can’t govern your state properly.
- KCR is the only brain of his party. He does not have a wide set of political advisers or MPs, etc. This is a major defect when you want to go national. KCR must be aware that he is surrounded by many careerists and sycophants . Mamata Banerjee and Sharad Pawar have many friendly leaders from outside their states.
KCR has to be clear. Is he a sepoy of the opposition or its leader? Nothing wrong in KCR wanting to be prime Minister. We can’t predict who will win or lose. Neither Lal Bahadur Shastri in 1963 , V.P. Singh in 1989 , P.V. Narasimha Rao in 1991, Manmohan Singh in 2004, Modi in 2014 or even Rajiv Gandhi in 1984 ever expected to be prime Minister. But the journey is long and hard. Once KCR has talked about going national, he can’t run away.
The public senses that KCR is somehow worried about some un-named problems. KCR will have to be open with the people. But before that journey, KCR should look at Golconda fort and remember that ‘a warless strategy “ of the Nizams saved them for 224 years.
KCR behaves like a tiger in Telangana, calling himself a “Puli Bidda.” But outside Telengana, KCR behaves like a godly angel. So while KCR’s journey is serious for himself, there will be lot of comedy too. It will be good to see a smiling KCR, both in Telangana and outside Telangana. But wait till March 10 for the 5- State election results. Depending on the result, there may be change of plans or even cancellations.