It is widely believed that one person wrote the constitution of India. But the fact is 300 members of the Constituent Assembly under the leadership of Dr. Rajendra Prasad formed into several committees and worked on it for about 2 years.
Also read: Governance in India
Heads of Major Committees of Constitutent Assembly for writing Indian constitution are:
1. Drafting Committee – Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
2. Union Powers Committee – Jawaharlal Nehru
3. Union Constitution Committee – Jawaharlal Nehru
4. Provincial Constitution Committee – Sardar Patel
5. Advisory Committee on Fundamental Rights, Minorities and Tribal and Excluded Areas – Sardar Patel.
Also read: Ancient Indian Glory – Fact or Fiction?
This committee had the following subcommittees:
a. Fundamental Rights Sub-Committee – J.B. Kripalani
b. Minorities Sub-Committee – Harendra Coomar Mookerjee,
c. North-East Frontier Tribal Areas and Assam Excluded & Partially Excluded Areas Sub-Committee – Gopinath Bardoloi
d. Excluded and Partially Excluded Areas (Other than those in Assam) Sub-Committee – A.V. Thakkar
6. Rules of Procedure Committee – Dr. Rajendra Prasad
7. States Committee (Committee for Negotiating with States) – Jawaharlal Nehru
8. Steering Committee – Dr. Rajendra Prasad
Also read: Law and Justice
Dr Ambedkar is a constitutional expert. He and his team prepared the final draft of the constitution incorporating the resolutions of the committees. We should be grateful to all those who gave us a great constitution.
Also read: Lawyers in Courts