Six Persons Charred To Death In Fire Mishap In Air-Coolers Unit

Hyderabad: Six workers employed in an air-coolers manufacturing unit at Atthapur in Rajendranagar were charred to death when the unit was engulfed in a fire in the early hours of Wednesday.

Though seven workers, all hailing from Bihar, were reportedly present in the unit when the fire mishap occurred, the charred bodies of only six were recovered. The fate of the other worker is yet to be ascertained.

The GHMC Commissioner B. Janardhan Reddy, senior police and fire services personnel visited the accident site. The owner of the unit Pramod Kumar was arrested and criminal charges were filed against him for negligence and not having the required permission for running the unit, and also not taking safety measures.

The GHMC Commissioner announced an ex gratia of Rs. Five lakh to each of the deceased workers. He also said that Rs.25,000 would be paid to each for shifting the bodies to the respective places in Bihar state. Those whose bodies were identified were Saddam, Ayub, Irfan and Sharooq.

According to the police, the unit was set by its owner on a 500 sq yards plot without any permission. Besides, no safety measures were found to have been taken in the premises. Fire seem to have started in the unit in the early hours, and within minutes it has engulfed the whole premises. The workers were stated have been sleeping in the premises when the mishap occurred.

On receipt of information, fire engines reached the spot and put out the fire. During the search, the fire personnel discovered the charred bodies of six workers. The police immediately arrested the owner of the unit, who claimed that the mishap had occurred due to short circuit. However, the police said that the cause of the mishap would be ascertained only after a through investigation. (NSS)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.