Scorpene Leak: Defence Minister says, it is not a thing to worry
New Delhi: Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said on Friday that the information leak involving documents about construction of Scorpene class submarines is unlikely to have grave consequences.
“We are going by assumption of the worst case scenario. Don’t think it is a big worry, will be able to put things in right directions. Have told them (Indian Navy) based on inputs to find out area of concerns & take appropriate steps to address them,” he said.
Parrikar added that the submarines have not been tested in sea trials so far and that the specifications did not contain information about their combat capabilities.
The Congress party on Thursday described Manohar Parrikar as India’s ‘most incompetent and careless’ defence minister, and alleged that he is guilty of facilitating a cover-up in the leak of secret details related to the six Scorpene submarines.
“The Defence Minister started off with passing the buck. He talks about hacking, the Navy talks about the source of the leak being outside India, without any investigation” Congress leader Tom Vadakkan alleged.
Demanding a judicial enquiry to get to the bottom of the issue, Vadakkan said, “This is the about security of India, not about a political party. The culprit must be nailed”.
Meanwhile, French manufacturing company DCNS said that the matter is being thoroughly investigated by the French authorities.
According to the reports, the leak includes details of the submarine’s underwater sensors, above-water sensors, combat management system, torpedo launch system and specifications, communications and navigation systems.
The Indian government and DCNS made a deal worth $3.5 billion in 2005 to build six Scorpene submarines.
Scorpene submarines use local encryption and satellite communication systems.
In view of massive compromise of vital data, government needs to look at mitigation instead of covering up. Hope someone in the security establishment is listening.