Sasikala Threatens To Intensify Struggle
Chennai:A�Uncertainty continues to bog down Tamil Nadu politics. Governor C Vidyasagar Rao has been staying in Chennai but has not been taking decisions.A� As former prime minister PV Narasimha Rao famously said not taking a decision appears to be Governor Rao’s decision. It is said he is waiting for the Supreme Court judgment in Disproportionate Assets case. Sasikala’s patience is being tested.A�
Here are 10 Facts:
- AIADMK general secretary VK Sasikala Natarajan said it is tough for a woman to get on in politics. She commented that she had seen Jayalalithaa struggling to resist the male domination. She went to the resort to meet her group of MLAs for the second day on Sunday.
- Sources say Governor C Vidyasagar Rao is not unduly worried about the threat by Sasikala to follow a different strategy if he refused to give her oath of office. Governor had been keen to see that a stable government is established in Tamil Nadu.
- Sasikala has accused the Governor Rao of delaying the swearing-in ceremony only with the intention of splitting the ruling party. She had threatened to adopt new methods of agitation to bring pressure on the union government to act in accordance with the constitution.
- Sasikala visited the resort on Saturday and delivered an emotional speech at the meeting of the party MLAs. Party sources said there were 128 MLAs present. She is understood to have appealed to the MLAs to be united behind her.
- Sasikala has sent a letter to the Governor on Saturday requesting for a meeting. There were rumours that she had decided to propose the name of a former monster for the post of chief minister since the court cases are being bandied against her.
- Tamil Nadu Education Minister K Pandiarajan walked over to Chief Minister Panneerselvam camp. He was a staunch supporter of Chinnamma till the other day. It was a big setback for Sasikala and a shot in the arm for OPS.
- ‘We can be patient only to an extent. Beyond that we will do what we need to do,’ said Sasikala addressing the party workers at Poes Garden residence.
- By Sunday evening Chief Minister Panneerselvam is credited with having mustered the support of ten MPs and more than half a dozen MLAs.
- As a person who is not a member of legislature and who never contested an election, Sasikala has to get elected to the Assembly within six months of being sworn-in. She can contest from RK Nagar constituency in Chennai city which was represented by Jayalalithaa till her death.
- 10. Since Deepa, niece of Jayalalithaa, said she would be contesting for RK Nagar seat, Sasikala may not take the risk of entering the fray. She may opt to get a seat in South Tamil Nadu vacated and contest from there.