New Revised Travel Ban From Trump’s Administration

Venkata Kondubhatla

Washington (DC): A new revised limited order was announced Monday afternoon on travel ban, and it differs from the initial ban predominantly in excluding Iraq from the seven countries previously banned, and in making clear that permanent residents and legal visa holders from these countries are not part of the order.

The order will go into effect starting March 16th. The order will enforce a 120-day ban on all the refugees and the number of refugees allowed annually will be capped at 50,000. The citizens from countries – Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan, Iran, and Libya – will be prevented from entering the country temporarily, unless they are previously granted a visa.

“Commonsense dictates that we reevaluate and recess the systems that we rely upon,” said Rex Tillerson, secretary of the state, while announcing the order.

This revised order will bolster the security of the United States and its allies, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said.

The executive order responsibly provides a needed pause, so “we can carefully review how we scrutinize people coming from these countries,”  Sessions said in the announcement.

More than 300 people who came to the United States as refugees are under FBI investigation for potential terrorism activity, Sessions said. Enhanced screening for vetting process for these six countries will be enforced, he said.

Announcing the order, Tillerson addressed to all allies and partners around the world. He asked them to understand that this “order was for our undergoing efforts to eliminate vulnerabilities that radical Islamist terrorists can and will exploit for destructive ends.”

“We are going to work closely to implement and enforce it humanely, respectfully, and professionally, but we will enforce the law,” said John Kelly, Secretary of Homeland Security, who talked after Tillerson and Sessions.

Trump signed an executive order of original travel ban on January 27th, which has created turmoil among the citizens from the seven countries that were banned. Protests were held at various airports of the country, and on February 3rd, a judge from Washington State temporarily blocked the enforcement of Trump’s travel ban.

The ban became controversial for many reason, but predominantly because the ban was applied even for the permanent residents from these seven countries. A chaotic situation was seen throughout the country at the airports, where green card holders were stopped from entering into the country. Another reason was that there was no substantial evidence that terrorism ever being caused by these countries.

The court of appeals of the ninth circuit had heard the case and upheld the blocking of enforcement of Trump’s executive order. Now, Trump came up with a new revised, constitutionally strong, and limited order that will be enforced from March 16th.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.