India snubs UN human rights chief on Kashmir
NEW DELHI: India on Tuesday reacted sharply to remarks made by Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCHR) on the situation in Kashmir Valley, saying terrorism is the ‘grossest violation’ of human rights and should be so acknowledged by any impartial and objective observer.
India has also rejected a statement made by Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein after he called on India to allow an international mission to visit Kashmir Valley. The commissioner said, “We had received reports and continue to do so, claiming Indian authorities had used force excessively against the civilian population in the Valley under its administration. I believe an impartial, independent and international mission is needed and it should be given free and complete access”.
He also said Pakistan had already handed over a letter inviting the UN team to visit the ‘Pakistani side of LOC’, but in tandem with a mission to the Indian side.
Indian Ministry of External Affairs said there is no comparison between the condition and situation in the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir and Pakistan occupied Kashmir. India has strongly rejected the commissioner’s statement, saying, “The present situation in Kashmir Valley arose from the death of a commander of the terrorist organization Hizb-ul-Mujahideen. It was further aggravated by sustained cross border terrorism emanating from the Pakistani side. As regards the suggestion for the visit of a mission to both the sides of the LOC, we would underline that there is no comparison between both the sides. Pakistan occupied Kashmir is administered by a ‘deep state’ and has become a hub for the exports of terror globally”.
The 33rd session of the Human Rights Council got underway in Geneva today. The ministry has later added by saying that India hopes that the connection between the terrorism and violation of human rights would be recognized and deliberated upon in Geneva.
Kashmir has been under curfew for many days since the protest has started over the killing of terrorist, Burhan Wani, in July. Over 80 people are dead since then and over 11,000 people have been injured in the clashes which includes 7,000 civilians and 4,000 security personnel.