Blasts Rip Through Funeral Ceremony Killing 18 In Kabul

There was violence in Kabul once again on Sunday when three blasts ripped through a funeral procession killing 18 persons on the spot.
(File Photo)

Kabul: Three blasts ripped through a funeral ceremony killing at least 18 persons and injuring scores in Kabul on Saturday.The incident occurred a day after police opened fire on the mobs killing five, one among them was an Afghan politician’s son. The blasts took place when the funeral of the deceased was underway at a graveyard in Khair Khana area in Kabul on Saturday.The cause of the explosion is not yet known, according to news reports.

The site was strewn with corpses and dismembered organs sending chills down the spine, witnesses say. Senior Afghan officials who were present at the funeral were reported to have escaped unhurt.

Kabul on Friday saw hundreds of protesters going on a demonstration demanding step down of Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. The protestors at one point clashed with police who subsequently lobbed tear gas shells, used water cannons and opened fire to bring the situation under control.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Over 80 People Killed In Kabul Bomb Blast

The Kabul blast which came at the start of the holy month of Ramadan was very powerful and killed around 80 people.

Kabul: At least 80 people were killed and 350 injured in a massive blast that rocked diplomatic quarters in Kabul on Wednesday. It was a few hundred metres away from Indian Embassy.

According to the interior ministry, a suicide bomber detonated an explosive-packed vehicle at Zanbaq Square around 8.30 am. It also stated that more than 50 vehicles were damaged in the incident.

The powerful explosion in Kabul came at the start of holy month of Ramadan.

Najib Danish, an Interior Ministry spokesman, said initial findings showed it had been a truck bomb.

Meanwhile, a French minister said that the French and German embassies were damaged by the massive explosion.

European Affairs Minister Marielle de Sarnez told Europe 1 radio that she had no information on any possible casualties at the two missions.

Meanwhile, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi strongly condemned the terror attack and said India stands with Afghanistan in combating “all types of terrorism”.

“India stands with Afghanistan in fighting all types of terrorism. Forces supporting terrorism need to be defeated,” Modi tweeted.

All Indian embassy staff in Kabul is safe, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said earlier today.

“By God’s grace, Indian Embassy staff are safe in the massive #Kabul blast,” Sushma tweeted.

The explosion also shattered windows at the Japanese Embassy. “Two Japanese embassy staffers were mildly injured, suffering cuts”, a Foreign Ministry official in Tokyo told AFP.

Bodies littered the scene and a towering plume of smoke rose from the area after the blast blew out the windows in a number of missions and residences hundreds of metres (yards) from the epicentre.

More than an hour after the explosion ambulances were still taking the wounded to hospital, as fire-fighters struggled to control blazes in several buildings.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but the attack came as the resurgent Taliban are stepping up their annual “spring offensive”.

Pentagon chief Jim Mattis has warned of “another tough year” for both foreign troops and local forces in Afghanistan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.