310 girls hospitalised due to gas leak outside schools
New Delhi:A� Nearly 310 girls from two schools in Tughlakabad area were hospitalised on Saturday morning after a gas leak.A� The girls who came early to school began to complain of breathlessness, irritation in eyes and throats. They were immediately rushed to the hospital.
A container filled with Chloromethyl Pyridine, a chemical used to produce insecticides and pesticides, parked near their schools led to the incident. The chemical in the container was imported from China and was to be taken to Sonepat in Haryana.
The students of Rani Jhansi Kanya Sarvodaya Vidyalaya and Government Girls Senior Secondary school and nine teachers were rushed to nearby hospitals. The doctors said that their condition is stable.
Union Minister JP Nadda called Centre run hospitals to help the victims. Even a team of doctors from AIIMS has been put on standby to help if any emergency arises.
The police said that a call was received at 7.35am about chemical leakage at customs area of Tughlakabad depot, located near the schools.
The school authorities informed the parents as well as agencies concerned to the control the situation. National Disaster Response Force was immediately called to contain the leak. Seventeen ambulances from the centralised Accidents and Trauma Services were also rushed to the school.
The situation of the students is now normal and police will initiate legal action against the handlers for negligence, Police Deputy Commissioner Romil Baaniya said.
Chief Minister of Delhi, Arvind Kejriwal, and Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia met the girls. The Delhi government has ordered a magisterial probe into the incident.